With every school visit I make I try to provide the kids with an enriching experience that will both inspire and help them to grow. My most recent package includes:
- An art exercise and accompanying parent permission slip. With parental permission I will post each child’s art online so they can be proud and show it off to all their friends and relatives.
- An art critique exercise for the students to give me feedback on some of my clay artwork.
- A singed letter from me to each student to remember the experience by.
- A free personalized Alien Alphabet bookmark with the student’s name on it.
During the visit itself I will:
- Explain the role of a writer’s critique group and how that helps a writer to make a better story and become a better writer.
- Explain the journey most authors take toward becoming published. Explain the role of an agent and publisher and the writing and editing process.
- Explain how to critique a picture book story.
- Read one of the stories I am actively seeking publication on.
- Have the students give me a critique on my story and explain that they will help my story to be better.
- Read a second one of my stories that I’m actively seeking publication on.
- Have the students critique this story.
- Wrap up my school visit with the announcement of the freebies that their teacher is about to hand out and say goodbye and thank you!
I can’t wait, this is going to be another really great visit!